The first three episodes or so this season of Heroes were great. But the writers seem to have run out of ideas (and have now been fired). Most noticeably, the last three episodes have each featured a different hero fake dying to fool a villain (Ando, Claire, Parkman). Pathetic. Entertainment Weekly suggested some minor tweaks that would only stop the bleeding at best. Here's my bold suggestions for saving the franchise.
1. Copy BPRD: There are too many unfocused, aimless heroes running around. Create a small team along the lines of Mignola's BPRD, and have them encounter mysteries every week. Make HRG and Sylar the core of the team and add two (hot) women. Like the X-Files, episodes should vary between self-contained stories, and a larger mystery.
2. Kill off Dad Petrelli: At the moment he dies, all of the powers he stole should flow back to their rightful owners. BPRD's main mission is to find all of those people and deal with the problems they cause. One episode could feature a reanimated Adam Monroe. Another could feature a mass-murdering Maya. Most importantly, the heroes act intelligently and logically to solve problems. They don't keep coming up with silly reasons to not use their powers.
3. Make a mutated Suresh the main bad guy: The Fly meets Doctor Doom. He blames the heroes for his condition and uses his science skills to cause trouble. He could reproduce, creating mutated monsters.
4. Keep Hiro, Ando, Nathan around solely as supporting players: Hiro funds the team. Nathan is a government contact. These guys have otherwise outlived their usefullness to the show.
5. Say goodbye to Claire (lame, directionless character, and she's just not attractive enough to attract an audience); Parkman (useless); and Peter (grown stale, although I enjoy watching his silly "I'm a tough guy" walk).
6. No powers that need to be explained through dialogue: Massive strength is ok. A character who has to say every episode (in the heat of battle) "I'm getting strong because you're afraid" is not ok.
There's my two cents. In the meantime, I now have an hour of extra free time each week.
*See other reviews I've posted here.
*Buy Marvel Legends action figures at eBay.