Friday, August 28, 2015
Card art for the "Jump To Lightspeed" set of Fantasy Flight Games' "Star Wars: The Card Game." This character was first introduced in the Masters of Teras Kasi Playstation game, and is notorious for having a pretty impractical costume. So I really had a blast getting the opportunity to redesign her into something that I think is more reflective of her actual personality and fighting style.
Thursday, August 27, 2015
"a painstaking yearslong effort to reproduce 100 studies published in three leading psychology journals has found that more than half of the findings did not hold up when retested"
“I think we knew or suspected that the literature had problems, but to see it so clearly, on such a large scale — it’s unprecedented,”See also: Wikipedia's summary of glaring flaws in the famed Stanford Prison Experiment.
1. "Two top executives at Dole are on the hook for $148 million after a judge ruled that CEO and chairman of the board David H. Murdock, and the company’s former chief operating officer, C. Michael Carter fraudulently drove down their company’s stock price so they could shortchange shareholders and buy the business on the cheap."
2. A claim that DC movies are killing DC comics sales (people watch the Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns movies instead of buying the comics).
3. "Welcome to your dystopian future. Reports from yesterday say that a US drone strike in Syria has killed a British-born computer hacker who had joined ISIS and was involved in that group's online activities"
4. A prestigious Los Angeles private high school had to drop its JV football team for lack of interested players:
“I think this is a bubble,” [the school's Athletic Director] said. “We feel this is a temporary situation.”(NFL player Jonathan Martin attended that school.)
5. Grand Theft Auto 5 mod puts a Mass Effect Reaper over the skies of Los Santos.
6. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is $1.99 right now at Amazon.
Wednesday, August 26, 2015
New Avengers Infinite figures including Juggernaut Colossus, Deadpool, and Emma Frost available for preorder
Avengers Infinite 3.75" Figure 2015 Series 03 set and individual figures available.
Posted by John at 12:48 PM
Uber's impact on taxi drivers in New York:
As the number of drivers continues to dwindle, between 80 and 120 cabs sit empty on any given shift. Yossri recalls one day recently when there were only enough drivers to send out 24 cabs, and 147 of them sat empty.
When he can, Kiouvas moves the cabs directly from one spot to another while still abiding by alternate side parking rules. More often, he parks them in the dispatcher's crowded lot temporarily. When street cleaning ends at 1:00 p.m. dispatchers, mechanics, and body men pitch in to help Kiouvas get all of the cabs back onto the street—quickly, before neighbors' cars fill in.
Posted by John at 12:41 PM