Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Los Angeles leaders planned to spend $27 million on sidewalk repairs this budget year -- much more than the year before. But so far, more than halfway through the fiscal year, the city has yet to spend any of it. 
City Administrative Officer Miguel Santana said the city had not moved ahead with the planned sidewalk fixes because of an ongoing lawsuit filed by disabled residents who assert that broken sidewalks infringe on their rights to public access. 
Santana said they had hesitated to spend the money because it could end up adding to city liability in the case.