Friday, October 22, 2021

"Deadly infection linked to contaminated room spray sold at Walmart"

StatNews on the discovery of a pathogen so dangerous that federal law enforcement agents were notified:

The product, Better Homes and Gardens Lavender and Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones


The discovery involved a huge amount of detective work by local public health officers and the CDC.

“We tested hundreds of specimens collected from the households of several of the patients


The euphoria of finding the source of the bacteria was quickly dampened by the realization that the product was something being sold at Walmart, [according to the CDC deputy director].

“We were very concerned when we found this bacteria in this bottle and began to imagine what the distribution number might look like across the United States